203 East National Avenue
Brazil, Indiana 47834
Phone: (812) 443-2221
Fax: (812) 446-0337
Brian Wyndham, Mayor
Karen McQueen, Clerk-Treasurer
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JANUARY 10, 2018
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on January 10, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett, City Attorney Traci Orman
OTHERS PRESENT: Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Planning and Zoning Adminstrator Janet McClellan, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Police Chief Clint McQueen, ,Chase Graverson, Humane Society Manager Michelle Cannava, Leigh Steele, Ronda Boring, Firefighter and Union President Troy McQueen, Firefighter Rob Bell, Firefighter Ryan Brown, Firefighter Seth Haviland, Firefighter Zach Mormans, Toni Carter, Daniel Rose, Vicki Lawhorn, Brazil Times Editor Frank Phillips, Brazil Times Reporter Connie Adams
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was led by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: December 27, 2017; Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Graverson Construction – 628 S. Forest Ave. – Chase Graverson was present and presented a 2-year outline for remodeling his property on 628 S. Forest Ave. Planning and Zoning Administrator Janet McClellan has reviewed the outline and has discussed the action plan with Chase. Ma yor Wyndham stated that the plan looks acceptable. Linda Messmer would like for Chase to come back in 90 days to update his progress. Janet McClellan said that Chase will need to get building permits and that the City’s building inspector will be inspecting progress.
- Meeting Dates and Times for 2018 – Board of Works meetings will remain on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays every month at 10:00 a.m. at City Hall for 2018.
- GAI Invoice – Jackson St. Inventory – GAI Consultants has provided services for the Jackson St. Sidewalk Inventory which covers Jackson St. sidewalks from 40 to Vandalia St. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve payment of invoice no. 2120454 for $1,440.00 to GAI Consultants for professional services from November 12, 2017 to December 16, 2017; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Fire Contract – Troy McQueen, Union President, was present to request the Board of Works approval and signatures for the 2018-2020 Fire Department Contract with the City of Brazil. Mayor Wyndham sat in on negotiations and said that everything went well. Linda Messmer and Ruthann Jeffries thanked Chief Bennett and Troy McQueen for going through the new changes. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the 3-year Fire Contract with the City of Brazil for 2018-2020; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Hamilton Logging – Hamilton Logging approached the City with a proposal to log approximately 80 acres of City owned property in Putnam County. Linda Messmer asked how the City will benefit. Mayor Wyndham said that the City will benefit monetarily and that we may eventually have to put new wells on that property. If the City decides to have the property logged we will have to get proposals from other companies. Daniel Rose suggested that the City hire a forester if we go forward with the logging.
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
- Police received 512 calls for service in December which led to 18 arrests, 28 tickets, 25 warnings and 21 crashes.
- Shop with a Cop was a success this year. This was the 17th year to have the program. Chief McQueen said that 75 children participated and wanted to thank the community for their support. Mayor Wyndham congratulated Chief McQueen on a successful program.
- Clerk – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0. An adjustment was also approved for Mr. Sison. This will be his one-time yearly adjustment for 2018. Vicky Lawhorn was present at the meeting.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: Clay County Humane Shelter Manager Michelle Cannava was present. Ms. Cannava stated that she is trying to repair the relationship between the Humane Society and the City of Brazil and would like to discuss terms and the possibility of working toward a new contract. Mayor Wyndham agreed that he would meet with Ms. Cannava and discuss contract issues. Linda Messmer noted that one issue that needs discussion is the definition of “emergency”. Linda Messmer and Ruthann Jeffries also thanked Ms. Cannava for her efforts in restoring this relationship.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:34 a.m.