MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR DECEMBER 27, 2017
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on December 27, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Clerk-Treasurer Karen McQueen, City Attorney Traci Orman
OTHERS PRESENT: Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Wastewater Collections Supervisor Jerry Robison,Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Glenn Baker, Tom Graverson, Chase Graverson, Mgr. of American Apartment Management Becky Vandivier
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was led by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: November 22, 2017; Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- American Apartment Management Co. – Becky Vandivier, Manager, was present to request the water deposit fee be waived for apartments that were built by Maxwell Construction; The Board of Works decided not to waive the water deposit fee for these properties.
- Animal Control Contract – Langmans Wildlife and Pest Control has been contracted to provide animal control services for 2018 for the City of Brazil. This contract will be a 2-year agreement with an option for a 3rd Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Animal Control Contract with Landmans Wildlife and Pest Control and the City of Brazil from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2019; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Quotes Regarding Lease for 10 New Police Vehicles – Local banks were contacted regarding a municipal lease for the purchase of the new police vehicles. Proposals were received from Riddell National Bank and First Financial Bank. Riddell National Bank proposal had a lower interest rate for the lease. Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the Proposal Lease Agreement from Riddell National Bank for 6 years at 2.8% interest; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0. The actual lease will still need approved once it is ready.
- 708 S. Grant St. – Unsafe Building Affirmation – Building Inspector Troy McQueen has made a recommendation to declare the house on 708 S. Grant St. as unsafe. Property is owned by Jeremy and Lacey Lovett. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Unsafe Building Affirmation for 708 S. Grant; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- 628 S. Forest Ave. – Unsafe Building Affirmation – Tom Graverson, owner of 628 S. Forest Ave. was present to state that he and his son, Chase Graverson, also present, are trying to clean up the propety. He stated that the property is currently vacant but he has had issues with renters including taking approximately 6 months to evict a previous tenant. Tom stated that his plans are to gut the house and renovate it late Spring/early Summer. Glenn Baker, neighbor, said that the sewage smell is awful and that sewage is falling into the basement. Ruthann Jeffries asked how long the sewage has been in the basement. Glenn Baker stated it has been bad for 3 years. Mayor Wyndam feels that the Graversons need to be given a timeline to fix the property. Graversons are to make a plan and provide it to Janet McClellan prior to the next Board of Works meeting on January 10, 2018 so that the Board may review the plan.Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Unsafe Building Affirmation for 628 S. Forest Ave; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Clerk – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: Approval of signing process for claims has been table until the next Board of Works Meeting.
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 11:13 a.m.