MINUTES OF THE COMMON COUNCIL
FOR SEPTEMBER 9, 2015
A meeting of the Common Council was held on September 9, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Brian Wyndham, Ann Bradshaw, Brad Deal, Carrol Evans, Tyler Hutcheson, Angela Modesitt . Also in attendance: Traci Orman, City Attorney and Teresa Glenn, Planning and Zoning Administrator, Lou Britton, Eric Somheil, Atty.
The Pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham
PRAYER was said by Brad Deal
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: May 28, 2015 and August 12, 2015 Ann Bradshaw made a motion to approve minutes. Brad Deal seconded. The motion passed 5-0.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Brazil Police New Vehicle Request – Officer Ray Walters was present to request a transfer of funds to purchase a new police vehicle. Ray Walters had already presented his request at the Board of Works meeting earlier. The BOW approved the purchase. Tyler Hutcheson made a motion to approve the transfer of funds to purchase a new police vehicle. Ann Bradshaw The motion passed 5-0.
- Ordinance 12-2015: An Ordinance Amending the Brazil City Code Annexing Certain Territory to expand Corporate Limits of the City of Brazil – Eric Somheil, Attorney, was present to give a legal description of the amendment for this ordinance. This amendment will involve cleanup for railroad property. Eric Somheil asked for approval for the 1st reading and will return in October for final approval. A Public Hearing was opened at 6:15 to discuss the Ordinance. The Public Hearing was closed at 6:18. Ann Bradshaw made a motion to pass Ordinance 12-2015 on first reading. Brad Deal The motion passed 5-0.
- Resolution approving the Southwestern Economic Development Area – Lou Britton, of the Economic Redevelopment Commission was present to discuss Resolution 2015-15: A Resolution Approving the Southwestern Economic Development Area. The Developer will be responsible for all Bond Payments which are generated through property tax captured when the developer pays taxes. Brad Deal made a motion to approve Resolution 2015-15. Tyler Hutcheson The motion passed 5-0.
- SB-1 Timberland – Timberland Personal Property Tax abatement- Timberland Home Center has submitted a statement of benefits and provided all information and documentation necessary for Council to approve a personal property tax abatement. Brad Deal made a motion to approve Resolution 2015-14: A Resolution of the Brazil Common Council of the City of Brazil, Indiana, Designating and Area Within the City of Brazil, Indiana as an Economic Revitalization Area for the Purpose of a Personal Property Tax Abatement. Ann Bradshaw The motion passed 5-0.
- Ordinance 13-2015- An Ordinance requiring structures to have a key lock box installed on the exterior of the structures for fire safety purpose- Fire Chief Jake Bennett presented information on key lock box requirements. This will eliminate forced entries and avoid costly and time-consuming efforts in gaining access to locked structures during an emergency. Angela Modesitt asked for a list of businesses that will affected before voting. Brad Deal made a motion to approve the first reading of Ordinance 13-2015. Tyler Hutcheson The motion passed 5-0.
- Ordinance Amending Chapter 74, Title VII, Schedule XI of the City of Brazil (handicapped parking) – Ann Bradshaw made a motion to suspend rules and approve Ordinance 5-2015 on first reading. Seconded by Angela Modesitt. The motion passed 5-0. Ordinance 5-2015 will establish “Handicapped Parking” on 604 N. Walnut.
- Nuisance Ordinance-Ordinance 14-2015: An Ordinance Amending Chapter 94, Title IX of the City of Brazil, Indiana Code of Ordinances Concerning Public Nuisances– City Attorney Traci Orman is working on this ordinance and will have a final version at the next Council meeting. Tyler Hutcheson shared information about the new definitions and adding building materials. There was discussion about language changes such as adding language about “scrapping” and to address visibility of junk. Mayor Wyndham asked for the Council’s input on issues of televisions being disposed of and costs association with this during heavy trash pick-up. The City has not budgeted to absorb this cost.
- Appropriation for paving – Mayor Wyndham addressed the notice from Dave O’Mara on addition paving on the following streets: Maple Street, Pelle Street, McGuire Street, King Street, North Levitt, Chestnut Street. Mayor Wyndham asked to add John Stelle Drive to the list. There is $30,000 to be used for the project from Wheel Tax Funds. Tyler Hutcheson asked for specifics on Wheel Tax money and where the extra funds will come from to fund the project. Mayor Wyndham will have the figures ready at the next Council Meeting.
Carrol Evans is receiving comments about how good the streets are looking.
Brad Deal is receiving positive comments about the Hwy 40 progress and the 40/59 intersection.
MAYOR COMMENTS: NONE
FUTURE AGENDA: NONE
Brad Deal made a motion to adjourn meeting, seconded by Ann Bradshaw. Motion passed 5-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:29 p.m.