MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR OCTOBER 28, 2015
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on October 28, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Ruthann Jeffries.
ROLL CALL: Linda Messmer, Ruthann Jeffries, City Attorney Traci Orman, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Street Supervisor Brian Bemis, Water Office Representative Lacey Pearson, Council Member Carrol Evans, Daniel Rose, Frank Swearingen, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Ruthann Jeffries.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Linda Messmer made a motion to approve minutes from 9/23 and 10/14. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Resolution 5-2015: Authorizing the Implementation of Online Payments- The Water Office is working on a system to allow Utilities’ customers to make payments online. Lacey Pearson stated that customers will be able to view their bills, make payments, see history and consumption online. There will be a $1.25 charge due to INCODE (computer software provider) to make a payment online, but the water office will not be charging any extra fees. The Water Office is also looking to offer paperless billing for customers who want that option. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve Resolution 5-2015, authorizing the implementation of an online payment option for Utility customers. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Contract with GAI-City of Brazil ADA Inventory of Various Streets – Several City of Brazil sidewalks and intersection ramps have deteriorated to the point of repair and need to be renovated to meet ADA requirements. Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn presented a proposal with GAI Consultants to proceed with a sidewalk inventory of the city sidewalks. INDOT Grant money will be used to repair and renovate various sidewalks. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the contract from GAI Consultants to provide a sidewalk inventory for the City of Brazil and to authorize Mayor Wyndham to sign any future documents. Seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
- Paving Quitclaim Deed – An amendment has been made to the original Quitclaim Deed for alternate street paving. This amendment will add in Northwood Drive, (E and W). Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Quitclaim Deed and authorize Mayor Wyndham to sign any future documents. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
- BEP Real Estate Purchase Agreements – Traci Orman stated that we have identified 8 properties to be purchased through the Blight Elimination Program. Four properties have been obtained through the Commissioner’s sale and the City has tax deeds for them. The four remaining properties are owned by individuals and we are prepared to make an offer on them. The four properties are 621 E. Mechanic, 940 W. Knight St., 914 S. Walnut St., 503 W. Kruzan. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve Real Estate Purchase Agreements for 621 E. Mechanic, 940 W. Knight St., 914 S. Walnut St., 503 W. Kruzan. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Approval for Clean Ups and Mowing Lists- (see attached) – Teresa Glenn stated that Mr. Rocker at 3 W. Kruzan has been given an extension until November 12th. Teresa Glenn also stated that we need to start assessing fines at $100 per day on Mr. Gupta at 816 S. Grant. The BOW discussed tarps on roofs, unsafe buildings and the definition of “junk” and “trash”. Street Supervisor Brian Bemis stated that he has to use his own judgement on “junk” and “trash”. Teresa Glenn said that Indiana Code and Federal Laws have an effect on our Ordinances, and we are in the process of tweaking our nuisance ordinance. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Clean Up and Mowing List for October 28, 2015. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
Ruthann Jeffries has requested that Teresa Glenn provide pictures and lists of Clean Up properties before the Board of Works meeting.
- Clerk’s Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Utilities’ Office – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve claims, with the exception of Terry Hayes request to have trash fees removed from his bill on 420 E. Blaine. The request was denied. Linda Messmer The motion passed 2-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. Meeting adjourned at11:05 a.m. The motion passed 2-0.