MINUTES OF THE COMMON COUNCIL
FOR AUGUST 12, 2015
A meeting of the Common Council was held on August 12, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Brian Wyndham, Ann Bradshaw, Brad Deal, Carrol Evans, Tyler Hutcheson, Angela Modesitt . Also in attendance: Traci Orman, City Attorney and Karen McQueen, Clerk-Treasurer.
The Pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham
PRAYER was said by Brad Deal
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: July 8, 2015, Ann Bradshaw made a motion to approve minutes. Brad Deal seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
- Discussion on 604 N. Walnut Handicapped Sign Request – City Attorney Traci Orman will draft an Ordinance and the request will be addressed at the next meeting.
- Morris Manufacturing-Final Approval of Personal Property Tax Abatement (2015-10) – Ann Bradshaw made a motion to grant a Personal Property Tax Abatement to Morris Manufacturing. Brad Deal The motion passed 5-0.
- Nuisance Ordinance – Council discussed changes to the Nuisance Ordinance. Tyler Hutcheson recommended the penalty fee change from $25 to $100. City Attorney Traci Orman will make revisions and clarifications to the Nuisance Ordinance and will present the changes at the next Council Meeting.
- Repaving Streets – Council Members discussed paving options for streets that were not included in the Paving Project. Streets discussed include McGuire St, King St by Forest Park, John Stelle Drive, Leavitt St. North of Leavitt and Greg Stultz Memorial Drive. The Council discussed using Wheel Tax Money and also getting quotes.
- Resolution – Dispatch Contract – Police Chief Clint Mcqueen discussed the contract between the City of Brazil and the Sheriff’s Department. Clint McQueen advised that he and Dennis Archer have had several meetings with Sheriff Harden and Chief Deputy Josh Clarke to work out details for a smooth transition. The contract establishes one central dispatch location for county and city. The city will provide $110,000 (to be paid in 2 installments of $55,000 each) for the Sheriff’s Dept. to provide dispatch. Tyler Hutcheson made a motion to approve the Dispatch Contract. Angela Modesitt The motion passed 5-0.
- Resolution – Downtown Revitalization Grant – Brad Deal made a motion to approve Resolution 12-2015, the Slum and Blight Area Declaratory Resolution. Carrol Evans The motion passed 5-0. Resolution 12-2015 declares the area that is the EDA that will be part of the Downtown Revitalization Grant. The resolution authorizing application submission and local match commitment has already been passed.
- Brazil Zoning appointment from Council – Tyler Hutcheson was appointed and will be the new member of the Brazil Zoning Board.
COUNCIL COMMENTS: NONE
- Tyler Hutcheson would like the Park’s Board member’s terms looked at.
- Angela Modesitt would like to see signs corrected on the intersection between Kruzan and Washington.
Brad Deal made a motion to adjourn meeting, seconded by Ann Bradshaw. Motion passed 5-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:43 p.m.