MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR FEBRUARY 22, 2017
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on February 22, 2017 at 10:06 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Janet McClellan, Cemetery Superintendent Brian Bemis, Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Council Member Steve Bell, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: February 8, 2017 minutes; Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
January 2017 – Police Activity Report
• The Police Department received 591 calls for police service in January including 76 calls for criminal investigations, 21 arrests, 14 vehicle crashes, 56 tickets issues, 58 warnings issues and 13 animal calls. Ruthann Jeffries noticed that the number of tickets issued has decreased. Chief McQueen commented that it has leveled off and varies depending on the weather and street conditions
• Officer Richard Criss graduated last week from the Police Academy and has started on patrol duty this week.
• New hire Zach Overton is currently training with City officers and will go to the Police Academy in the Fall.
• Chief McQueen has requested that the Board appoint Elliott Mullinix as the 14th Police Officer with the City of Brazil. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to appoint Elliott Mullinix as the 14th full time Police Officer for the City of Brazil; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
• Chief McQueen will be appointing a full time investigator within the next few weeks.
1.) Approval of Invoices from Air Co. (Asbestos Removal FEMA) – 405 S. King St. – Two invoices were presented from Air Co. for removal and disposal of asbestos at 405 S. King Street and 415-417 S. Alabama Street. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve invoice #170620 for $1350.00 and invoice #170621 for $150.00 from Air Co; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
2.) GAI Consultants Invoice Approval – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve invoice #2110224 for professional services from December 18, 2016 to February 11, 2017 for $720.00; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
3.) Opening of Bid Proposals for Cemetery Mowing – Three bids were received and opened for 2017 mowing of Restlawn and Cottage Hill cemeteries.
• Yankee Rose – Restlawn $ 6500.00
Cottage Hill $ 14,000.00
Total $ 20,500.00
• Lawn America Restlawn $ 5,500.00
Cottage Hill $ 17,000.00
• JC Landscape Restlawn $ 8,400.00
Cottage Hill $13,300.00
The bids will be taken under advisement and will be awarded at the next BOW meeting.
Clerk’s Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
Utilities’ Office – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
• Cemetery Bids – Will be awarded at the next BOW meeting.
MAYOR COMMENTS: INDOT Update
• INDOT has been working to adjust the manhole covers in the roads.
• There have been complaints of people driving in the right lane in parking areas. INDOT is not finished with the parking areas and will be repainting them in the next month.
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:27 a.m.