MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JANUARY 13, 2016
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on January 13, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Linda Messmer, Ruthann Jeffries, City Attorney Traci Orman, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Council Member Roy Kellar, Council Member Steve Bell, Mark Adamson, Brazil Twp Trustee TJ Sneddon, Susan Sneddon, Democratic Chairman Harvey Roscoe, Daniel Rose, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve December 23, 2015 minutes; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: Daniel Rose asked for an update on the old house next to him on 726/728 N. Meridian Street. Mayor Wyndham stated that we have the funds to tear the house down, and we are going to ask for bids on the project. Mr. Rose also stated that the signs on Meridian Street look nice.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Brazil Township Trustee-Brazil Fire Contract – Brazil Township Trustee TJ Sneddon was present to discuss the 2016 Fire Contract between Brazil Township and the Brazil Fire Department. The contract is the same as 2015 except for a 2.6% increase allowed by the State Board of Accounts. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to accept the 2016 contract between Brazil Township and the Brazil Fire Department in the amount of $21,601.00. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0. The amount of $21,601.00 will be paid to the Fire Department in two installments.
- Mark Adamson – Mark Adamson was present to ask for a 2016 yearly rate reduction for Adamson’s Laundromat. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to renew the 10% rate adjustment on the sewer bill for Adamson’s Laundromat for 2016. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0.
- Cleve Dryden – Water – Cleve Dryden had requested to be on the agenda but failed to show.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Jake Bennett
- Fire Chief Jake Bennett presented a fire run report for December 2015.
- The Fire Department has had a few plumbing issues in December, but the Firefighters have worked to fix the issues.
- Linda Messmer asked if the Fire Department goes out on every Medic call? Jake Bennett responded that the Ambulance always goes out, and the Fire Department goes as an added layer of assistance. Mayor Wyndham asked if the Ambulance get assistance from other volunteer departments if the call is outside of the City? Jake Bennett said that the other volunteer departments do respond.
A Public Hearing was opened at 10:17 a.m.
Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn stated that the property at 915 N. Mary Patton Drive was sent an Unsafe Building Order on December 4, 2015. Teresa Glenn asked if anyone was present to represent the owner, Vinod Gupta. No one was present to represent Mr. Gupta. Teresa stated that Mayor Wyndham and she did an inspection on the property and discovered the structure to be unsafe.
The Public Hearing was closed at 10:20 a.m.
Linda Messmer made a motion to affirm the Unsafe Building Order on 915 N. Mary Patton Drive, and for the property to be demolished. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
- Clerk’s Office – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities’ Office –Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries ; seconded by Linda Messmer. Meeting adjourned at 10:23 a.m. The motion passed 3-0.