MINUTES OF THE COMMON COUNCIL
FOR DECEMBER 9, 2015
A meeting of the Common Council was held on December 9, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Brian Wyndham, Ann Bradshaw, Brad Deal, Carrol Evans, Angela Modesitt. Also in attendance: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, City Attorney Traci Orman
The Pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham
PRAYER was said by Angie Modesitt.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: September 23, 2015, Brad Deal made a motion to approve minutes. Ann Bradshaw seconded. The motion passed 4-0. November 4, 2015, Caroll Evans made a motion to approve minutes. Ann Bradshaw seconded. The motion passed 4-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: The Brazil City Fire Department presented a special award to Ann Bradshaw for recognition of her contributions to the Fire Department. Mayor Wyndham presented a plaque to Ann Bradshaw from the City of Brazil to thank her for her many years of service.
- Resolution 16-2015 (New Hope Tax Abatement-final action), Abatement Calculation Agreement, SB-1 – Traci Orman presented Resolution 16-2015 and asked the Council for approval. Brad Deal made a motion to pass Resolution 16-2015, Final Action for the New Hope Tax Abatement and the Abatement Calculation Agreement. Ann Bradshaw The motion passed 4-0.
- Ordinance 14-2015: Public Nuisance – Traci Orman presented information about Ordinance 14-2015, An Ordinance Amending Chapter 94, Title IX of the City of Brazil, Indiana Code of Ordinances Concerning Public Nuisances. Brad Deal made a motion to table the discussion for further review. Seconded by Angie Modesitt. The motion passed 4-0.
- Walnut Street Parking – The Council sent the Brazil Public Library a letter about parking issues and the intent of Council to allow parking on both sides of Walnut during church service times. The Library was also informed that they might need to move their drop box to a new location. Mayor Wyndham stated that the Street Department will be removing unapproved signs in the morning. Church representatives are moving forward with paving the lot on Franklin Street. City Attorney Traci Orman, will draft an ordinance to allow parking on both sides of Walnut Street and will have it ready for the January meeting.
- Resolution 17-2015: Comprehensive Plan Study Application and Match –Traci Orman presented this Resolution for consideration of a $36,000 grant with a $4,000 Carrol Evans made a motion to approve Resolution 17-2015: A Resolution Authorizing the Submittal of the CDBG Planning Grant Application to the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs, Authorizing Local Match Commitment, and Addressing Related Matters. Brad Deal seconded. The motion passed 4-0.
- Ordinance 18-2015: An Ordinance Amending Title IX, Chapter 90, Burning Regulations (Online Burn Permit) – Traci Orman discussed the burning regulations within the City and the need for an online burn permit. Dispatch is going to the County on January 1st and this will allow for convenience when applying for burn permits. Brad Deal made a motion to suspend rules. Angie Modesitt The motion passed 4-0. Brad Deal made a motion to pass the ordinance. Angie Modesitt seconded. The motion passed 4-0.
- Humane Shelter Contract – Traci Orman shared changes from last year’s Humane Society contract.
- The pay will go from $18,000 to $20,700 for 2016
- A provision for euthanization only in life and death situations.
- Receive, impound, maintain and care for all live animals captured or received but the Human Society, Brazil Police Department, or Animal Control Officer.
There was discussion regarding dead animal pick up in the City and the cost associated with such duties.
Brad Deal made a motion to table until next meeting and to continue payment from the old contract until new contract is approved. Carrol Evans seconded. The motion passed 4-0.
- Additional Appropriations and Transfers – Traci Orman discussed additional appropriations needed to cover purchases from 2015. Ann Bradshaw made a motion to pass Resolution 19-2015, seconded by Brad Deal. The motion passed 4-0. Traci Orman discussed transfers needed to cover purchases in 2015. Angie Modesitt made a motion to approve all transfer of funds, seconded by Carrol Evans. The motion passed 4-0.
MAYOR COMMENTS: Mayor Wyndham thanked Ann Bradshaw and Carrol Evans for their years of service on the Council and thanked their families for coming. Mayor Wyndham stated that Brazil is moving forward.
FUTURE AGENDA: NONE
Ann Bradshaw made a motion to adjourn meeting, seconded by Brad Deal. Motion passed 5-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:02 p.m.