MINUTES OF THE PARK BOARD
FOR Aug. 15, 2017
A meeting of the Brazil Park Board was held on Aug. 15, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by President Carrol Evans.
ROLL CALL: President Carrol Evans, Vice President Brian Bemis, and Secretary Janet McClellan The Pledge to the Flag was led by Carrol Evans
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Brian made a motion to pass minutes from July 11, 2017; seconded by Carrol. The motion passed 3-0.
TREASURER REPORT: Will have a treasurer report next meeting
As of June 2017:
Ending Non-Reverting balance-
PARK SUPERINTENDENT REPORT: Marv Moon presented the report.
Report as follows:
- Treated weeds on walking track at Forest Park.
- Signs have been added to playground reiterating the age limit of 12 for equipment.
- Pool has been drained and is in the process of being winterized.
- Debris was removed from dam at Craig Park.
See Attached for the remaindered of items.
Cindi Monds from the Parks Association:
The bow style bridge is not an option now. There is an 1887 Baltimore Truss Bridge that is listed as #21 on the Natural History register. The bridge is 109 feet long, which is exactly what we need. The Parks Association was awarded a $2500.00 grant to obtain a structural analysis on the bridge and in the process to vote for an engineering company to complete the work.
The Parks Association is accepting bids for the work on the Fountain at Forest Park and we are waiting to hear back from the Wabash Valley Community on a grant we submitted for the playground equipment for Craig Park.
Frank Sweargigen and Georgia Day said that Marv is doing a fantastic job. They would like to see pickle ball stripping on the tennis courts so they could use for overflow.
- Skate Park- Brian Bemis said that Traci Orman, the City Attorney, would like to put the skate park into the Parks Dept. It is extreme sports so there is no liability to the Parks Dept. Brian made a motion to take over the skate park after the repairs are made by the Skate Park Club and we would partner with the Skate Park Club. Janet second. Vote 3-0 in favor of the motion.
- Walking Trail at Craig Park- Carrol and Brian had some complaints about the walking trail weeds and rift raft. Marv is working on the walking trail at Craig Park. Marv just needs heavy equipment to spread milling and to remove the rift raft. Marv is waiting to get the equipment.
- Fishing Fun Day- Janet has been working on this. Pepsi is donating a trailer, roll outs, pop, water, and 2 bikes. Pepsi will deliver everything on Fri. Sept. 8. Eckrich is donating hot dogs. American Legion donating chips and buns. I have a call in to the VFW to donate plates, napkins, ketchup, mustard, and relish. McDonalds is donating free meal cards. There is money and bikes donated for 10 bikes. Brian and Marv are working on the prizes. Flyers and newspaper article are complete and ready to go.
Concession Stand at the park is doing very well. Janet would like to pass out a survey to the Brazil Concert Band Attendees. The survey will include 3 questions. Janet would like to get a feedback on the menu that has been offered in the concession stand.
Marv said that there will be cruise-in in the parks for the Steve Snow fundraiser. Carrol said that Janet is doing a great job with the concession stand and planning events. Carrol also had compliments on Marv and Brian doing a great job.
ADJOURNMENT: Janet made a motion to adjourn meeting, seconded by Brian. Motion passed 3-0. Meeting adjourned at 6:46 p.m.
Janet McClellan Date
Park Board Secretary