MINUTES OF THE PARK BOARD
FOR July 11, 2017
A meeting of the Brazil Park Board was held on July 11, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by President Carrol Evans.
ROLL CALL: President Carrol Evans, Vice President Brian Bemis, Zach Stultz Treasurer and Secretary Janet McClellan The Pledge to the Flag was led by Carrol Evans
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Brian made a motion to pass minutes from June 6, 2017; seconded by Janet. The motion passed 4-0.
TREASURER REPORT: Will have a treasurer report next meeting
As of June 2017:
Ending Balance- $135,742.45
Total Expenses- $21,276.43
Ending Non-Reverting balance-$27,866.17
PARK SUPERINTENDENT REPORT: Marv Moon presented the report.
Report as follows:
- Drainage project at Forest Park has been completed and fully operational.
- The west shelter house at Craig Park was demolished.
- The electrical service boot on the roof of concession stand was resealed.
- The pad at the intersection at Waterworks road and St Rd 340 in Craig Park was poured.
See Attached for the remaindered of items.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: None
- Pickle Ball- Frank Swearingen, Georgia Day, and Debbie Swearingen have some concerns at the pickle ball courts. Concern 1) there is a drop off around all courts. Some people get their foot caught in the drop off area. Marv and Brian will take a look and come up with a solution to fix. Concern 2) the net between the pickle courts and tennis courts are light weight and blow onto the pickle ball courts. Maybe a heavy tennis court net would work better. Marv has an old tennis court net that he will put up in its place. Concern 3) A few lights are burnt out. Marv is aware and waiting to see if we can get a bucket truck to replace the bulbs. Also Frank and Georgia would like to paint or tape off the rest of the tennis court to use for pickle ball. Brian already looked into this and paint is $32 a gallon. The Parks Dept. can purchase the paint and mark the tennis court to be used for pickle ball courts. Marv is going to double check with the Lesley Corp to see if taping or painting will void the warranty of the surface.
- Clay Youth Soccer Club- The Soccer Club would like to place at least 3 soccer fields at Craig Park. In the future could possible go up to 6 or 7 soccer fields. As of July 31, the Soccer Club will not be able to use the North Clay fields due to construction. The Club can use Forest Park Elementary. The Clay Youth Soccer Club would like a permanent home and think Craig Park would work great. The Club has all equipment needed to play and they will strip the fields. The Club has volunteers to till the ground up for the field. Also Wallace Brothers will donate seeding the grounds with Ceres Solution to donate the seed. The Club has around 150 kids that play and possible more people in the park if we hold tournaments. Zach made a motion to allow the Clay Youth Soccer Club to begin developing 3 soccer fields at Craig Park. Also they will need to bring in a development plan for the future with a contract to be signed next year. Brian second. Motion passed 4-0.
- Disc Golf- John Day would like to hold a Disc Golf tournament at Forest Park. The Disc Golf Club does not have insurance to host tournaments. Janet checked with Mary Jo, City of Brazil HR Director, for them to hold tournaments under our insurance. It was approved by our insurance company that the Parks Dept can host Disc Gold Tournaments at Forest Park.
- Covered Bridge Festival- John Day had an idea of renting out the Pavilion during the covered bridge festival. All board members and park superintendent was not on board with this idea. Janet said that the 4-H fairgrounds rent out for the Covered Bridge and see very little foot traffic.
- Park and Shelter Rules and Regulations- The board read the rules and regulations of the shelter. Brian mentioned that the shelter by the pool should go in the pool contract with the YMCA. All Park Board members agreed. Also FYI that sparklers and fountains are permitted in the parks. Not the big fireworks.
Carrol would like to have a list of all the people that helped with the drainage project. Carrol will get with Billy Goodrich for the list. Janet said that the Parks Association is applying for a grant for playground equipment for Craig Park and they have a bridge located from IN Landmarks. They will apply for the grant for the bridge. Janet would like to handle the food and drinks for the Fishing Fun Day. All Board Members agreed. Summer Concert is this Sat from 7-9pm with Tinchenor Jeffries and Clay Youth Food Program in Concession Stand from 5:30-8:30pm.
ADJOURNMENT: Janet made a motion to adjourn meeting, seconded by Zach. Motion passed 4-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:38 p.m.
Janet McClellan Date
Park Board Secretary