Online Burning Permit System
For the issuance of burning permits in:
Brazil Township (view map)
Open burning is NOT permitted in the City of Brazil except for Recreation or Ceremonial Fires that are approved by the City of Brazil Police Department.
Issuance of permit does NOT relieve the permittee of:
• His/Her responsibility for complying with all air pollution laws, regulations and ordinances.
• His/Her responsibility for keeping a competent watch over the fire.
• His/Her responsibility for any damage the fires may cause to other parties or their property. Good judgment MUST be used when burning even though a permit has been obtained.
NOTE: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL TRASH, GARBAGE, OUTDOOR WASTE, FOLIAGE, BRANCHES, LEAVES, PLASTIC AND BUILDING MATERIALS, TIRES, TREATED WOOD, MATERIALS CONTAINING ASBESTOS BE BURNED WITHIN THE CORPORATE LIMITS OF BRAZIL. (City of Brazil Code of Ordinances 90.40-90.45)
• You must be 18 or older to obtain a burn permit
• Only 1 fire may be burning at the location
• Size of a fire can be no greater than 2 feet in height and 4 feet in diameter
• Open fires shall not be ignited prior to 2 hours before the event
• Fire must be extinguished at the conclusion of the activity and before midnight
• Adequate fire fighting or suppression equipment to extinguish the fire has to be present at all times.
Open burning is prohibited for any of the following reasons:
• If at any time, the burning creates a public nuisance such as a pollution problem, a threat to public health, a dangerous fire hazard to nearby structures, trees, foliage, or utility lines, the fire shall be immediately extinguished.
• Location of the open burning is less than 500 feet of a fuel storage area, pipeline, or less than 100 feet of a frequently traveled street or roadway.
• During unfavorable weather conditions such as high winds, temperature inversions, air stagnation, or when a pollution alert or ozone action day has been declared.
Permits are valid for day of event, and must be extinguished by midnight. Subsequent burning without a permit is a violation of these rules, and a fine of $250.00 and up to $500.00 may be imposed. (City of Brazil Code of Ordinances 90.99).
By completing the following form, I request authorization to start or cause to be started a fire upon land under my control at the specified address.
As a permittee I certify:
- I understand and acknowledge that this permit can be cancelled at any time by the City of Brazil Police and or City of Brazil Fire Department: If weather conditions dictate. If a burn ban is issued by the Fire Chief or by order of the Governor, or if the Permittee fails to comply with the Open Burning rules.
- I will take reasonable steps to control the fire at all times and will ensure it is completely extinguished before leaving the fire site.
- Should my fire become dangerous or get out of control, I know I am to contact local emergency services by dialing 911.
- I am familiar with all rules and regulations pertaining to my burning project. This includes local laws/regulations which may not be addressed on this website.
|Misty Johnson||425 N Chicago||3/8/2016||10:30am|
|Brigette Heil||609 E. Church||3/10/2016||6:00 pm|