MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR DECEMBER 9, 2015
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on December 9, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Linda Messmer, Ruthann Jeffries, City Attorney Traci Orman, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Kristy Jerrell of Jerrell Consulting, Roy Kellar, Steve Bell, Daniel Rose, James Rocker, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Linda Messmer made a motion to approve November 25, 2015 minutes; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Daniel Rose would like an update on the house next to him on Meridian Street. Mayor Wyndham stated that the City has completed all steps necessary to identify the property and tear it down. Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn has sent letters to all parties involved and assured Mr. Rose that we have the funds available to tear the house down.
- Daniel Rose inquired about some signs on Meridian Street. He stated that several are missing, and others are illegible. Mayor Wyndham said that the City is starting the process for the Sign Inventory Replacement Grant and directional and stop signs are included in this grant.
- James Rocker had been previously granted an extension for the clean up process on his property. Rocker brought pictures to validate the progress. The Board of Works encouraged Mr. Rocker to continue the progress on his property.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Abatement Calculation Agreement: New Hope (tax abatement) – New Hope Services Inc. would like to purchase City owned properties and build affordable senior housing. These properties are being applied for through the Blight Elimination Project. New Hope Services Inc. would like to have approval for a Real Property Tax Abatement on these properties. New Hope Services Inc. will agree to employ 2 full-time employees at the facilities and will add $60,000 to their payroll. The Council has already given preliminary approval. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Abatement Calculation Agreement (5 year Real Property) with New Hope Services, Inc. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0.
- Public Hearing: Comprehensive Planning Study – A Public Hearing was opened at 10:10 a.m. to discuss the Comprehensive Planning Study. Kristy Jerrell of Jerrell Consulting will provide minutes for the Public Hearing. (Minutes are attached) The Public Hearing was closed at 10:24 a.m.
- Kristy Jerrell Grant Agreement and Invoice regarding Downtown Revitalization –
An invoice was presented from Jerrell Consulting for Grant Administration fees for the Downtown Revitalization Planning Study for $4,000. An agreement for Professional Grant Administration Services was also presented. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve payment of the invoice to Jerrell Consulting for $4,000, and to approve the Agreement for Professional Grant Administration Services. Linda Messmer seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
- Clerk’s Office – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities’ Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. Meeting adjourned at 10:27 a.m. The motion passed 3-0.