MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR SEPTEMBER 27, 2017
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on September 27, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett, City Attorney Traci Orman
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Janet McClellan, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips, Jeremy Lovett
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was led by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: September 13, 2017; Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
- 712 calls for service in August including 87 investigations, 21 arrests, 67 tickets, 78 warnings and 15 crashes. Mayor Wyndham asked if this was typical for August and Chief McQueen said it was normal. Linda Messmer stated that there are several areas in Brazil where people are not stopping at stop signs. Chief McQueen is aware of many trouble areas and officers are patrolling those areas.
- Officers will be directing traffic during the Covered Bridge Festival during the morning and afternoon.
- Special Request – Chief McQueen has requested a property cleanup at 616 N. Washington St., owned by Andrew Winn. Pictures of the property were presented to the board. Winn has been issued tickets and has not paid them. Ruthann Jeffries has made a motion to approve cleanup at 616 N. Washington St; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Timberland Home Center – Abatement Calculation Agreement – Timberland Home Center requested a 7-year personal property tax abatement at the September 13th Council meeting where they were given preliminary approval. The abatement will go for final approval with the Council at the October 4th Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the Abatement Calculation Agreement (Personal Property) with Timberland Home Center; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Mowing – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Mowing List for 9/27/17; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Clean Ups – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Clean Up List for 9/27/17; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Condemn 708 S. Grant – Jeremy Lovett, owner of 708 S. Grant was present. Planning and Zoning Administrator Janet McClellan wanted to rescind the request to condemn property at 708 S. Grant. Lovett has been working to make improvements to the property.
- Clerk – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve with a note attached to Duke bill for check number not matching check number on voucher (extra zero was added); seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: Frank Phillips mentioned that he saw the Pepsi sponsored Haunted Hollars commercial and was impressed.
MAYOR COMMENTS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:21 a.m.