MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JULY 22, 2015
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on July 8, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Ruthann Jeffries.
ROLL CALL: Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer and Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Police Chief Clint McQueen, Water Office Supervisor Dee Elder, Daniel Rose, Jared Grable, and Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Ruthann Jeffries.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
July 8, 2015, Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
- Affirmation of Unsafe Building Order – Teresa Glenn, Planning and Zoning Administrator, would like to have the Board of Works affirm an Unsafe Building Order for property between 726-728 N. Meridian Street. Teresa Glenn has sent out notices to parties involved. The Bank replied that they do not have the mortgage. Linda Messmer made a motion to affirm and sign the Unsafe Building Order for property between 726-728 N. Meridian Street. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Approval for Clean-Ups and Mowing List – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve Clean-Up and Mowing Lists for 7/22/15. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Jared Grable – Jared Grable has requested that his trash bill be lifted off of his water/sewage bill for properties that he is flipping. Dee Elder, Water Office Supervisor, said that the Ordinance states that multiple units can have the trash taken off, but nothing about single units. Jared Grable also wanted to discuss an issue he has had with renters not paying their water bills, and leaving the landlord with the bill. Ruthann Jeffries said that both of these issues need to be discussed with the Mayor and the City Attorney. The discussion will be tabled until the August 12th Board of Works Meeting.
- Agreement for Services with Staunton – The Wastewater Treatment Plant has entered into an agreement to provide services for Staunton in accordance to the contract. Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the agreement between the City of Brazil Wastewater Treatment Plant and the City of Staunton from July1 through December 31, 2015. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
– 624 incidents were reported in June.
–The top incident was Animal Complaints.
–The Police Department is working on switching dispatch to the County. Chief McQueen said that they are in the beginning stages. The changes will increase response time and will be beneficial to the City Police.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: Mr. Rose wanted an update on the house next to him. Mr. Rose also wanted to discuss a dangerous intersection at Depot and Pinckley Street due to trees and bushes in the way. Ruthann Jeffries will talk to Street Supervisor Brian Bemis about the intersection.
- Clerk’s Office – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer The motion passed 2-0.
- Utilities’ Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. Meeting adjourned at11:03a.m. The motion passed 2-0.