MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JUNE 22, 2016
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on June 22, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Ruthann Jeffries.
ROLL CALL: Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Grant Administrator Kristy Jerrell, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips, Daniel Rose
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Ruthann Jeffries.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Linda Messmer made a motion to approve June 8, 2016 minutes; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve June 1, 2016 Executive Session minutes; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: Daniel Rose asked about the contract for the demolition of 726/728 Meridian Street. Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn said that a contract will be ready in the next week, and demolition will begin in 30 days. Mr. Rose also has noticed bushes at the corner of Depot and Pinckley Street, causing issues with drivers. Teresa Glenn will contact the Street Department to take care of this issue.
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Police Chief Clint McQueen
- May 2016 City Incident Report – Animal complaints and domestic disputes were high in May, but is typical for summer activity. Traffic stops were also high due to the increased patrol in certain areas of the City.
- Ruthann Jeffries commented that our officers are more visible lately.
- Casey Harder is graduating from the Academy on June 24 and will be starting his role as a Patrol Officer next week.
A Public Hearing opened at 10:14 to discuss the Flood Buyout Project Phase I & II. The Public Hearing was closed at 10:25. Kristy Jerrell, of Jerrell Consulting, will provide minutes.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- BEP Attorney Invoices – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve payment of 9 invoices for Attorney Fees for BEP Properties (18 W. Blaine/Stephenson, 348 N. Colfax/Veach, 305 N. Alabama/Wilson, 420 E. Darley St./Rissler, 503 W. Kruzan/Flake, 621 E. Mechanic/Allen, 704 S. Depot St./Rissler, 914 S. Walnut/Fisher, 940 W. Knight St./Godsey & Norris); seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
- Cleanups – Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn presented pictures and discussed cleanup properties and unsafe buildings. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Clean-Up List for June 22, 2016; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
- Unsafe Building Affirmations-1035 E. Hendrix, 225 E. Collins, 512 N. Logan Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Affirmation of Unsafe Building Orders for 1035 E. Hendrix St., 225 E. Collins St., and 512 W. Logan St; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
Clerk’s Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
Utilities’ Office –Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
MAYOR COMMENTS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. Meeting adjourned at 10:40 a.m. The motion passed 2-0.