MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JUNE 14, 2017
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on June 14, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett, City Attorney Traci Orman; Linda Messmer was absent.
OTHERS PRESENT: Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Sheryl Hill, Shelby Baker, Grant Administrator Kristy Jerrell, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was led by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: May 24, 2017, June 7, 2017; Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Mayor Wyndham. The motion passed 2-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
• 748 calls for service in May including 44 investigations, 10 arrest, 93 tickets issued, 109 warnings issued, 21 crashes
• Police have been assisting the wastewater crew with traffic duty on Depot St.
• Billy Goodrich thanked Chief McQueen, Chief Bennett and Brian Bemis for their assistance. Mayor Wyndham also stated how much the City appreciates them.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Jake Bennett
• 34 calls for service in April
• 45 calls for service in May
• June Training with Asst. Chief Roy Kellar will include ladder drills, bleeding control, opiate exposure risk for responders, arson detection for first responders and man vs. machine training.
• Firefighters educated approximately 130 students from area preschools about the job of being a firefighter and the importance of fire safety.
• Firefighters also spent a morning at Meridian Elementary for their career/vehicle day.
• Firefighters also assisted Forest Park teachers with a station during their Field Day.
Park Drainage Project Update: Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich
• The drainage project at Forest Park is finished and everything looks good.
• Frank Phillips thanked the City on behalf of the Rotary and said that they are thrilled with the work.
1.) Public Hearing – Stormwater Grant – Grant Administrator Kristy Jerrell gave a summary of updates on the Main Street Revitalization Program (MSRP) and Water Project:
IOCRA DOWNTOWN REVITALIZATION – FACADES CONSTRUCTION PROJECT – The public hearing for this project is set for Wednesday, June 28th at 10:00 am at City Hall. The Letter of Intent (Proposal) will be submitted to IOCRA on Friday, July 7th. Then the City will have a final public hearing sometime in August 2017 before the final grant application is submitted on September 1st. Grant Awards will be announced on October 12th. This is a competitive grant and if the City is not awarded on October 12, 2017 then we can reapply in Round I 2018 in April 2018.
IOCRA WATER PROJECT – The City of Brazil’s IOCRA Water Grant Construction project’s Pre-Bid meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 28th at 1:00 pm at City Hall with the Public Bid Opening set for Wednesday, July 12th at 10:00 am.
The Public Hearing opened at 10:21. The Public Hearing closed at 10:22.
Public Hearing minutes are attached.
2.) Award Contract – Community Crossing Paving – Money was received from INDOT and we have $1.2 million designated for the paving project. The City worked with GAI Consultants to create an asset management plan and laid out streets that need repaved over the next 5 years. Bids were opened on June 7, 2017 for the 2017 Community Crossings Street Paving Project including Wabash Valley Asphalt for $897,616.91 and Dave O’Mara for $1,029,580.60. Contingency work bids (unit price items) were an additional $267,500 from Dave O’Mara and $242,863 from Wabash Valley. Wabash Valley was the lowest bidder for repaving 21 different streets. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Notice of Award to Wabash Valley Asphalt Co, LLC for the contract price of $897,616.91 with a contingency amount not to exceed $242,863 for a total contract amount not to exceed $1,140,479.91; seconded by Mayor Wyndham. The motion passed 2-0.
3.) Clean-Ups and Mowing – Mayor Wyndham made a motion to approve the Clean-Up and Mowing lists for June 14, 2017; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 2-0.
1.) Clerk – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Mayor Wyndham. The motion passed 2-0
2.) Utilities – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve; seconded by Mayor Wyndham. The motion passed 2-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE
MAYOR COMMENTS: Mayor Wyndham thanked City Attorney Traci Orman for all of her hard work, and wanted her to know that she is appreciated.
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Mayor Wyndham. The motion passed 2-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.