MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR DECEMBER 23, 2015
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on December 23, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Linda Messmer, Ruthann Jeffries, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Roy Kellar, Steve Bell, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Linda Messmer made a motion to approve December 9, 2015 minutes; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Staunton Agreement for Wastewater Services for 2016 – The Staunton Agreement for Wastewater Services needs to be renewed for 2016. Staunton currently pays the City of Brazil $2000 per month for testing and administrative services to keep Staunton Wastewater in compliance. Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the agreement for services between the City of Brazil, Indiana and the Town of Staunton, Indiana for one year. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
- City of Brazil Paving Study Proposal- GAI Consultants has provided a Paving Study to the City of Brazil to help with an estimate for costs so the City can advertise for bids. The Paving Study provides a Field Assessment, Aerial Map Drawing, Typical Pavement Sections and a Report. GAI fees associated with the Paving Study are $22,500. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the City of Brazil Paving Study Proposal for Phase II-A. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0.
Linda Messmer noticed that the study includes most of the Southwest area of Brazil and wondered if this will be the final paving project. Mayor Wyndham explained that this area is designated as an Economic Development Area, and will qualify for bond money. Mayor Wyndham stated that the plan is to get most of the streets paved, and is looking to get a Hot Patch machine for the Street Department to manage the other streets.
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Clint McQueen
- Everything is ready for the transfer of dispatch to the County on January 1, 2016. Ruthann Jeffries asked if the City Police Department would still have a phone. Chief McQueen stated that they are currently working on getting phones ready for calls and complaints.
- Captain Archer and Chief McQueen will have a proposal ready at the January meeting to discuss the Policy on vacation and other leave.
- Chief McQueen received a resignation letter from Alisha Lord. Her last day will be January 7th, as she is taking a position with the Bloomington Police Department.
- Joshua Lynch has been PERF approved and needs to be appointed by the Board of Works as a full time officer. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to hire Joshua Lynch, starting date January 4, 2016 as a full time City Police Officer for the City of Brazil. Linda Messmer The motion passed 3-0. Steve Bell asked if this makes the City a full force. Chief McQueen stated that 13 is a full force and it will be full until Alisha Lord leaves in January.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Jake Bennett
- New hire Zachary Mormans is in a probationary period until November of 2016. He has already earned several certifications through previous employment.
- Cooper Towers has an alarm system that is over 20 years old. The system has failed lately. Brazil City Firefighters are taking shifts for a Fire Watch until Cooper Towers gets the alarm system updated.
- Firefighters responded to a house fire on Nellie’s Lane last month. The house was in Jackson Township’s area, but requested that Brazil help with the fire. City equipment was not used, but manpower was. Mayor Wyndham asked about cost recovery for the City of Brazil when we respond to a fire outside of our jurisdiction. Chief Bennett said that it has always been done as a courtesy, but there is currently no agreement. Chief Bennett will look into it.
- Clerk’s Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities’ Office –Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries ; seconded by Linda Messmer. Meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m. The motion passed 3-0.