MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR NOVEMBER 9, 2016
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on November 9, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett, City Attorney Traci Orman
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Council Member Steve Bell, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips, JD Burke, Danny Slack
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: October 26, 2016; approved by Linda Messmer,Seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
1.) JD Burk/Danny Slack – Wastewater Adjustment for 2017 – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve a 10% Wastewater Adjustment for January, February and March bills of 2017, payable in February, March and April of 2017; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
2.) Approval of Appraisal from Waters & Associates – 250 E. Short St. was originally in Phase II of the FEMA Flood Buyout. The City was unable to purchase the property at that time due to not being able to get clean title. There are new owners and the City is going to attempt to purchase the property so long as it can obtain clean title. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve an appraisal from Waters & Associates for appraisal services rendered for property on 250 E. Short St; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
3.) Cleanups – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Clean Up List for November 9, 2016, with the exception of property on 510 W. Jackson St.; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
4.) Approval of McCullough Excavating for BEP Houses – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve invoice #3905 for $38,050.00 from McCullough Excavating for the second half of removal of BEP unsafe structures including 348 N. Colfax, 305 N. Alabama, 420 E. Darley and 621 E. Mechanic; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0. A change order will be presented for approval at a future meeting.
5.) Approval of Keystone Contract – Council has appropriated funds for the purchase of new software for the City. Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the Boyce Systems Software License Agreement and the Boyce Systems Maintenance Terms and Conditions Agreement; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
6.) Approval of Resolution 5-2016: Lease of Street Sweeper – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve Resolution 5-2016: Governmental Lease-Purchase Agreement in principal amount not to exceed $190,000 between the City of Brazil and TCF Equipment Finance; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries.
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Jake Bennett
• Firefighters have been delivering fire presentations, on station and school grounds, throughout October and upcoming in November.
• The Department has also been active this past month with the Sesquicentennial Celebration, YMCA Fall Family Fun Night, Fall Frenzy’s “Touch a Truck”, and the Real Men Read program.
• The Department has completed the end of year testing for Apparatus, Equipment and Firefighters.
• Firefighters have utilized their time flow testing and flushing hydrants as part of the October drill training activity.
• November Training will include Rotary Saw Training, Cold Weather Emergencies, HAZMAT Evidence Presentation and Conflict Management Training
• Chief Officers have been working with the Local Emergency Planning Commission and IDHS District 7 to plan a training exercise with the department at the end of 2016.
Clerk’s Office – Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
Utilities’ Office –Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer seconded. The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
MAYOR COMMENTS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Linda Messmer; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:25.