MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR OCTOBER 14, 2015
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on October 14, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Ruthann Jeffries.
ROLL CALL: Linda Messmer, Ruthann Jeffries, City Attorney Traci Orman, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett
OTHERS PRESENT: Planning and Zoning Administrator Teresa Glenn, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Firefighter Raymond Staub, Parks Superintendent Maw Moon, Daniel. Rose, James Rocker, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was lead by Ruthann Jeffries.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES NONE
- Daniel Rose inquired about new signs for Meridian Street. Some of the signs are The Board of Works stated that we need to discuss this with Mayor Wyndham.
- Daniel Rose wanted an update on the house next to him on Meridian. Teresa Glenn stated that we planning to tear the house down at the beginning of 2016.
- James Rocker was present to dispute claims that his property is in violation of Mr. Rocker claims that he has made progress on the property and showed Ruthann Jeffries and Linda Messmer with pictures of his property. Teresa Glenn stated that this conversation has been going on for two years. Issues include abandoned cars, building materials and a tarp on the roof. Teresa Glenn stated that the City will have to assess a fine until the property is brought up to code. Ruthann Jeffries stated that we will table this discussion for one more month and give Mr. Rocker time to make more progress on the property before the City begins to assess fines.
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
FIRE CHIEF REPORT: Fire Chief Jake Bennett
1.) Chief Bennett presented the option of a Key Lock Box for rapid entry into existing businesses and new construction in the City of Brazil. The Key Lock Box system would help to eliminate entry delays and minimize damage to structures during an emergency situation. A new ordinance being considered would require existing structures to comply within one year. The cost of the box for businesses would be between $350 – $400.
- Fire Dept. —Salary Schedule — Firefighter Raymond Staub was present to ask the Board’s approval for the 2016 Salary Schedule. Firefighters will receive a 2.2% cost of hying adjustment as well as a $500 raise. Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the agreement between the City of Brazil and Brazil City Firefighters which includes a 2.2% raise as well as $500. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Timberland-Abatement Calculation Agreement (Personal Property) — Timberland Home Center is adding manufacturing equipment in the amount of $363,000 as well as 4 new employees. The Council has already given preliminary approval. Linda Messmer made a motion to accept the Abatement Calculation Agreement with Timberland Home Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
- Paving Contract — Fall Project — The Council has already approved funds for the 2015 Street Repaving Fall Project to resurface city streets. The streets to be included are Maple, Pell, McGuire, King, Chestnut and John Stelle Drive. North Leavitt will not be included and has been struck from the Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the agreement between the City of Brazil and Dave O’Mara Contractor for the 2015 Street Repaving Fall Project and to approve Mayor Wyndham as executor to sign any documents needed to proceed. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
- Change Order —Paving (Adding Northwood) — There is money left from the bond issuance to pave Northwood Drive. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Contract Change Order with Dave O’Mara which adds the following streets to the contract: W. Northwood, E. Northwood. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Contract for Grant Services-(Flood Buyout Phase 111)- City Attorney Traci Orman stated that FEMA has approved another Phase for the Flood Buyout. The houses have already been picked, a public meeting has been held, and now we are waiting on the funds from FEMA. In Phase III, the City will have a 25% match. In Phase I and II the match was paid for by IHCDA funds, but this option will not be available for Phase III. Linda Messmer made a motion to approve the Agreement for Professional Grant Administration Services between the City of Brazil and Jerrell Consulting, and to authorize Mayor Wyndham as executor to sign any documents needed to proceed. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Mowing and Clean-Ups- Linda Messmer made a motion approve the Mowing and Clean-Up Lists for October 14, 2015. Ruthann Jeffries The motion passed 2-0.
- Park Superintendent- Special Police Powers — Chief McQueen previously requested that Park’s Superintendent Mary Moon needs to have special police powers to write tickets for ordinance violations within the City Parks. Chief McQueen previously stated that Mary Moon has been through training and needs approval from the Board of Works. Linda Messmer made a motion to grant special police powers to issue tickets to violators for City Code Violations and to contact the Police in situations that are deemed Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
I.) Clerk’s Office — Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve. Linda Messmer
seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
2.) Utilities’ Office — Linda Messmer made a motion to approve. Ruthann Jeffries seconded. The motion passed 2-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Linda Messmer. Meeting adjourned at11:00 a.m. The motion passed 2-0.