MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS AND SAFETY
FOR JULY 12, 2017
A meeting with the Board of Public Works was held on July 12, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Brazil City Hall. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Wyndham.
ROLL CALL: Mayor Wyndham, Ruthann Jeffries, Linda Messmer, Deputy Clerk Melissa Dorsett, City Attorney Traci Orman
OTHERS PRESENT: Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich, Planning and Zoning Administrator Janet McClellan, Fire Chief Jake Bennett, Police Chief Clint McQueen, Council Member Steve Bell, Council Member Roy Kellar, Council Member Shane Litz, Grant Administrator Kristy Jerrell, Brazil Times Representative Frank Phillips, Midwestern Engineer Representative Steve Bender, Van Hoy & Sons Contracting Representative Van Baker, Dashiell Contracting Representative Melissa Kendall, Daniel Rose, Ruth Haas, Shelby Baker
PLEDGE: The pledge to the Flag was led by Mayor Wyndham.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: June 28, 2017; Linda Messmer made a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
AUDIENCE COMMENTS: NONE
OLD BUSINESS: NONE
- Ruth Deel – Water Adjustment – (not present)
- Ruth Haas – Water Adjustment – Ruth Haas was present to request a water adjustment. The water office had recently emailed her to warn her about increased usage. Ruth had already received an adjustment in April/May 2017 when her main valve was replaced. After review and discussion, Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve a water adjustment for Ruth Haas, seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
- Bid Opening – Water Project – The City was awarded a Water Grant through OCRA to make improvements to the Southwest Quadrant of the City. There were nine potential bidders. Three bids were received. Steve Bender of MidwesternEngineers opened the following bids:
- Dashiell Contracting Inc. $361,700.00(base bid)
$450.00 (alternate bid)
- Van Hoy &Sons $431,048.00 (base bid)
- B&T Drainage Inc. $395,466.00 (base bid)
$7500.00 (alternate bid)
At the conclusion of the bid opening the City took the bids under advisement. Midwestern Engineers will review the bids and provide the City with their recommendation for award of the bid. The City will award the project at the next Board of Works meeting.
- Resolution 5-2017: Establishing Due Process Procedures for Disconnect of Water Service – The United States Circuit Court for the Southern District of Indiana has issued a decision in a case where it was found that continued water service is a protected property right subject to Constitutional due process protection. City water customers are entitled to notice and an opportunity to be heard prior to water service disconnected.When customers receive their disconnect notice there will be a notice on the backside of the card which will inform them that they have until the 19th of the month in order to request in writing a hearing before the Board of Works. The Board of Works will then conduct a hearing at the next regularly scheduled Board of Works meeting.Linda Messmer made a motion to approve Resolution 5-2017, seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Mowing List – Ruthann Jeffries made a motion to approve the mowing list for July 11, 2017; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
POLICE CHIEF REPORT: Chief Clint McQueen
- June 2017- Police received 787 calls for service which led to 79 investigations, 29 arrests, 77 tickets, 50 warnings and 21 crashes.
- Police helped with the 4th of July Celebration at Forest Park
- Clerk – Linda Messmermade a motion to approve; seconded by Ruthann Jeffries. The motion passed 3-0.
- Utilities – Ruthann Jeffriesmade a motion to approve; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: NONE
- Wastewater Superintendent Billy Goodrich said that the Hendrix Street Project was completed 7 days early and thanked the Police Department for helping with traffic flow during the Hendrix Street Project. Mayor Wyndham commented that this was a sizeable project for Billy and his crew and that they did a great job.
- Linda Messmercommended Billy on a great job on the Park Drainage Project.
MAYOR COMMENTS: NONE
ADJOURNMENT: A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Ruthann Jeffries; seconded by Linda Messmer. The motion passed 3-0. Meeting was adjourned at 10:24 a.m.